Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Happy Wednesday

So as I'm clearing off the cereal bowls from the kitchen table, I tell my 7 year old that I'm excited that today is Hump Day.  "Woo who, it's HUMP DAY!"  He looks at me funny and asks me what Hump Day is.  I try to explain that we are half-way through the work week.  Blank stare.  "You know...over the hump...one day closer to the weekend?"  This does not resonate with him as he is still staring through me.  I hold up my hand and explain, "The pinkie finger is Monday, Tuesday is your ring finger....see?  We're going up the hill!  Today is Wednesday - aha!  the top of the hill!  Thursday is your index finger and FRIDAY (wiggle, wiggle)  is the thumb!  Get it?  We are getting over the hump!"  I'm very proud of my quick explanation as he smiles and nods to let me know that he understands (or thinks I'm just crazy).

About  10 minutes later, I'm upstairs, finishing my makeup.  Howie is in his bathroom brushing his teeth (or running water over his toothbrush).  He appears in the doorway with his backpack over his shoulder, announcing that he is ready to go.  I turn around and he tells me, "You know, I think I'm going to call today middle-finger day." 

Happy Middle-Finger Day, y'all.  Hope it's a good one.    

2 comments: